Learn About Thermal Image Technology Used In Building Inspections
We all dream to have homes that will reflect the way we want to live. However, we sometimes forget to consider all the practical details concerning construction of our homes from the day the first stone is laid to the day the last facet of finishing is done. Gone are the days when building technology would make us feel like old Jurassic fossils and therefore it is imperative to embrace the latest technology in the every aspect of the construction of a home. Thermal imaging is one of such technologies, and below is a sneak peak of its benefits and applications in building inspections.
What is thermal imaging?
Thermal imaging is a branch of thermal imaging science where thermographic cameras detect infrared radiation from the magnetic spectrum to produce images called thermograms. These images are created depending on the detected temperature variations and it is possible to read temperature values from the image through the use of complex algorithms.
The salient benefits of thermal imaging
The proliferation of thermal imaging technology has hit the ground running in the recent times due to its wide spectrum of uses and applications. Here are a few of its benefits.
- It is useful in monitoring some physiological changes such as allergic reactions in human beings and for veterinary use in other warm blooded animals
- It is useful in surveillance activities
- Firefighters use thermal imaging to see through smoke and rescue fire victims who may be trapped in the smoke
- It allows maintenance technicians to locate overheating sections and joints of power lines which may lead to power failure
- It is used in building and construction to fix thermal insulation as well as heating and air conditioning problems. It is also essential in performing home inspections and determining energy losses in buildings
- Several medical applications such as medical imaging, Breast thermography and peripheral vascular disease screening are based on thermal imaging
- It is used in Digital infrared thermal imaging in health care
- It is also used in Condition monitoring, thermal Mapping, stereo vision, research, process control, Nondestructive testing, chemical imaging and Volcanology. The list is long
- The use of thermal imaging when doing a building inspection on a home
As noted above, thermal imaging is very useful in several sections of the building and construction sector. When it comes to inspections, thermal imaging is important due to a myriad of reasons. Here are a few of them.
- Thermal imaging cameras can scan entire buildings as well as heating and HVAC installations without missing any area that may be a source of problems in the future. This enhances accuracy and efficiency.
- They facilitate non-invasive testing which detect the areas that need to be repaired as well as checking for energy efficiency, locating missing insulation and energy loss areas and verifying proper system operation.
- They assist in performing low slope and flat roofing inspections, building envelope inspections and moisture Inspections.
- They reveal pest infestation nests, air leaks around windows and doors and hidden plumbing and roof leakages. They also identify overloaded electric circuits and asses possibility of fire and water damage to the building materials.
- ndeed, thermal imaging cameras give a full image of the entire situation even when systems are under load and give a precise indication of what is to be fixed or changed. In so doing, they help you to save time and money. Their ease of use adds color to the already good package.
Where to buy thermal imaging cameras
There are various online and offline stores that stock thermal imaging cameras. FLIR series of thermal imaging cameras are particularly popular and are available in most building accessories shops. Amazon and eBay are the hallmark online stores for imaging cameras while Industrial Precision Instruments Pty Ltd and Australian Thermal Imaging Pty Ltd are just a few companies that can be of great help in purchasing imaging cameras especially in Australia.
Costs of thermal imaging cameras
The importance of thermal imaging cameras is not a prerequisite for exorbitant pricing. Actually, most designs of thermal imaging cameras are affordable as they do not cost an arm or a leg. There are actually thermal imaging cameras for all budgets starting from $ 1000. For instance, you can get a FLIR thermal ICI infrared camera for only $ 1999.00 (eBay).
In conclusion, the application of thermal imaging technology in building inspections deserves plaudits. It has been and will continue being pivotal in ensuring safety and security of the homeowners. No wonder the popularity of thermal imaging cameras grows by the minute.