How to Become a Building Inspector in Australia
If you are looking for a residential or a commercial property, it is inevitable to hire a building inspector. Of course, you don’t want to waste your money in an investment that will not prosper.
So, what does a building inspector have to do with the luck of your business?
Duties of Building Inspectors
When looking for a property to buy, it is important to undertake a building and pest inspection. This is one of the duties of a building inspector. He ensures that the property you are buying is free of pest infection and damages.
A building inspector investigates thoroughly whether the property is a “good buy” or not. He has his ways to discover the hidden flaws of a property, especially in the field of pest infection. Sellers as businessmen will not always be transparent about the condition of their property because they want to sell the property immediately.
So, it is the duty of a building inspector to verify that not too many repairs are needed before giving the buyer the green light.
Duties of a building inspector, what can can and cannot do.
- Not permitted to perform procedures that include digging as well as cutting.
- Is permitted to access areas mentioned by the owner.
- He must use a termatrac and a thermal imaging camera to identify pest infestations such as termites.
Upon Completion of the Inspection
- A full analysis report about the building inspection done.
- Identify all the issues that need immediate attention.
Building Inspector Training in Australia
One of the leading training institutions for building inspectors in Australia is the Master Builders. They offer a 2-day course for $650.
In order to be a full-fledged building inspector in Australia, one needs to meet the requirements prescribed by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.
In connection with this, Master Builders has prepared a program for individuals who want to pursue a profession as a building inspector.
The training program is based from AS 4349.1-2007 Inspection of Buildings – Pre-purchase inspections – Residential Buildings.
The training also teaches aspiring building inspectors certain communication skills, pre-inspection deliberation, techniques as well as methods in site inspection, writing report as well as contracts and building legislation in Queensland.
Building Inspector Qualifications in Australia
The question on how to become a building inspector revolves on the qualifications needed to thrive in this field. What are these?
- An applicant must have a high school diploma, highlighting science as well as math
- An applicant must undergo a program organized by a reputable institution
- He must have completed courses related to managing projects as well as constructing building
- He must fully understand the fundamentals about surveying, building codes, construction materials and contractual law
Being a building inspector is a profession that lets you learn continuously because you are in a business where materials as well as new technology constantly evolve.
If you really want to be a building inspector, complete the above-mentioned requirements and work hard.